one of these days, i will get used to the fact that it’s my job to go to places where people shove giant bags full of books at you saying “TAKE THEM! TAKE THEM!”
actually, i probably never will. I LOVE MY JOB.
so NAIBA was great. saw a lot of lovely folks, got to hear a lot of good buzz, attended some inspiring panels, got excellent information, collected lots of business cards, drank a lot of coffee, got very little sleep. in other words: bookseller conference.
and, of course, came home with TONS of books. which is ridiculous, considering that i just gave away 165 of them. but then again, i did also just buy a new bookcase. therefore: more books. also: whatever, FREE BOOKS!
a few of the titles i’m particularly excited about, and therefore you should be too (p.s., some of these are not really new, don’t ask me why/how i got them for free because i don’t really know):
- NOTHING LEFT TO BURN, Jay Varner, which Rebecca reviewed here
- EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE GREAT, Rachel Shukert (who is HILARIOUS in person, and memorably said THIS at the luncheon)
- THE BROADCAST, Eric Hobbs & Noel Tuazon (which has a FANTASTIC premise)
- THE ILLUMINATION, Kevin Brockmeier (which i actually HUGGED when the rep gave it to me. fangirl up in here.)
- THE FATES WILL FIND THEIR WAY, Hannah Pittard (which Mark from Politics & Prose gave a great big shout-out for, and i read whatever he tells me to. see also: MATTERHORN)
- NUMB, Sean Ferrell (which Liberty and Michele have been raving about for so long that i am embarrassed i haven’t read this yet)
- WHERE SHE WENT, Gayle Forman (it’s a sequel. and it only just occurs to me that i never did read IF I STAY. ack!)
- KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO, Patrick Ness (which MANY people have told me about, MANY times.)
- ZERO HISTORY, William Gibson (have you SEEN me nerd out? forget about it.)
- PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ, A.S. King (who is beloved of Liberty, Rob, and Lauren, and therefore very w00t-worthy)
- BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY, Ruta Sepetys (it has a Laurie Halse Anderson blurb on the back of it. nuff said.)
- MOONWALKING WITH EINSTEIN, Joshua Foer (memory FASCINATES me)